About Rich Eckenrode: Rich has worked for the past 35 years in manufacturing engineering and operations organizations. For the last twenty years, Rich has been heavily involved with MBE initiatives (long before it was called MBE. This experience was in support of various outputs including CAD/CAM for CNC programming, supporting tooling and fixture design as well as manufacturing planning activities creating manufacturing plans, production floor layouts, work instructions, preparation of MBOMs for input to ERP systems and routing creation. Rich has performed these tasks using (and re-using) CAD Models from Unigraphics (NX), PRO-E, CATIA/DELMIA and Solid Works. Rich worked on several design teams providing DFM (Design for Manufacturability) advice to the design team while performing the role of vehicle structure designer. Rich worked 32 years for BAE Systems (UDLP, United Defense, BMY), which is where most of his CAD experience was collected. The last ten years were spent working special projects introducing new technology to various departments within the company. It was during this timeframe the US Army started their MBE programs. Rich represented BAE Systems as the technical lead on those programs.
After forming RECON Services in 2010, Rich led teams in the support of advancing MBE/MBD research for the US government on various projects including DARPA AVM support to ARL at PSU, CAD modeling for NIST Verification and Validation projects. Rich also completed a project to revamp the MBE Capability Index for the US Army. Rich and his team have extensive experience defining CAD Modeling “Best Practices” in the creation of MBD models.
Rich is now working at Elysium Inc., his title is “MBE & Manufacturing Strategist”. Rich’s title is a good description of his responsibilities at Elysium.
Rich’s responsibilities include:
- Bring the best possible knowledge base of MBE/MBD and Manufacturing information for all application engineers as well as to the software development team at Elysium.
- This knowledge base is to be shared with all Elysium employees who have a need to know, which includes technical users, programmers, and marketing folks.
- For application Engineers and Developers, define how various processes work in the Design, Quality Control and Manufacturing organizations of our customer base.
- Provide expert information to customers about the use of Elysium software in their MBE/MBD environments.
- When customers either do not know how to proceed or are doing something incompatible with our software, offer white papers to describe methods that will work for them.
- Review current products to ensure best practices in MBE can be used by our customers.
- Help marketing efforts where knowledge of MBE or manufacturing is needed by either our people or customers as required.
- Provide advice for modifying current products using the viewpoint of a customer user.
- Ensure that templates be designed to support processes used by various customers.
- Define requirements for new functionality in Elysium products.
- All the previous listed responsibilities need to be supported by documentation. Rich is responsible to create this documentation in the form of “White Paper” summaries as well as in-depth process definition.
My hope is that within my tenure here at Elysium we can make all current products work perfectly. This includes translation paths as well as validation paths and accuracy of those various paths. I will use my CAD skills in various systems to manually check and verify that our automatic validation has no errors that I can detect.
I would also like to help develop various templates for PDF, HTML reports that will be highly functional while being visually pleasing to the users of those documents. I will accomplish this using my knowledge of functional requirements while teaming with someone who can define the usability of these products. Usability should always be a priority while satisfying functionality.
I also want to work within teams to help define new product functionality to the Elysium development team.
My single greatest desire here at Elysium is to transfer my knowledge base to others, so when it is time for me to retire again, all the rest of the staff can easily fill my roles here.
To that last point, I welcome all questions, debates, and complaints. My greatest need for accomplishing most of what I will do here is to receive feedback about what you know or think or even just suspect. Please communicate with me and help us all advance in our work and life in general.